SSIL has several handheld Garmin Vista GPS units available for checkout. Please fill out the form below. For additional information, contact Chad Little or one of our GIS GTFs.
Downloading your Data
1) If you choose to download your points from the GPS unit, there is a free program from the University of Minnesota called DNR Garmin that allows you to download your files to your PC and export them as shape files, kml files for Google Earth, and several other common formats.
2) Once you have installed the program, connect the cable to your unit and PC.
- Turn on the GPS unit.
- On your PC, open the DNR program.
- Click ok and allow the GPS unit to connect.
- Select the Waypoint drop down menu and select download.
- You should then see a list of your waypoints.